News and History of the MNG Developers from 1998
Herein lie news items and historical stuff regarding MNG. Feel free to poke
around, but note that some of the links, particularly the older ones, may be
broken. Keep in mind that this is history here...
- latest - see here
- 31 December 1998 - Draft 55 of the MNG specification is released
(new JNG promotion cases).
- 22 December 1998 - Draft 54 of the MNG specification, now known
as version 0.9, is released (new SAVE nominal layer number).
- 11 November 1998 - Draft 53 of the MNG specification is released
(framing-mode fixes, typos). Frozen?
- 9 November 1998 - Draft 52 of the MNG specification is released
(new MHDR layer-count field and expanded profile bits; JNG "20-bit"
data ordered with 8-bit before 12-bit).
- 16 October 1998 - Draft 51 of the MNG specification is released
(new MHDR frame-count, play-time, and simplicity-profile fields; URI
info). This one looks more likely to be accepted by everyone as
frozen, with the possible exception of a deterministic recipe for
calculating the frame count.
- 1 October 1998 - Draft 50 of the MNG specification is released
(new delta-JNG IJNG chunk). Glenn considers this draft
- 19 September 1998 - Draft 49 of the MNG specification is released
(LOOP data fields reordered, SEEK disallowed inside loops, tERm replaced
- 11 September 1998 - Draft 48 of the MNG specification is released
(progressive and 12-bit JNGs allowed; 12-bit JDATs may be accompanied by
corresponding 8-bit JDATs, separated by new JSEP chunk; clear display
before each frame for framing_mode 1). This is getting very
close to a feature-freeze.
- 3 September 1998 - Draft 47 of the MNG specification is released
(new global PLTE, SAVE/SEEK revisions, completed section on minimum
- 23 August 1998 - The MNG Home Site is born! Thanks once again to the
generosity of the fine folks at Walnut
Creek CD-ROM, the budding MNG pages now have a home of their own at
the same hierarchical level as the PNG pages, namely, http://www.cdrom.com/pub/mng/ .
- 17 August 1998 - Draft 46 of the MNG specification is released
(PNJ renamed to JNG, PAST simplified again, BACK tileable, 16-bit alpha
allowed with JNG).
- 3 August 1998 - Draft 45 of the MNG specification is released
(more complete PNJ description, PAST tiling, BACK background image).
- 31 July 1998 - Draft 44 of the MNG specification is released.
(typo fixes, clarifications, PPLT instead of IPLT, initial JPEG ["PNJ"]
- 30 June 1998 - Draft 43 of the MNG specification is released
(typo fixes, another optional index entry for SAVE, new reference to
W3C SMIL Recommendation).
Here are the other MNG-related pages at this site:
Last modified 14 March 2009.
Copyright © 1996-2009 Greg Roelofs.